What to Bring / Fishing Trip Packing List

• Food & Drink
• Bath towels and washcloths
• Sleeping Bag and Pillow
• Camera (Please email your full-size fishing pictures to us)
• Dish Towels & Bath Towels
• Clothes & rain gear & hat
• Personal medications
• Personal toiletries & toilet paper
• Paper towels
• First Aid Kit
• Hand soap
• Ziploc bags for fish
• Matches & lighters
• Bug spray - 11% DEET or better
• Mosquito Coils / Citronella Candles
• Sun tan lotion - 15 SPF or better (30 to 50 recommended)
• Fishing Gear
• Stringer
• Landing Net
• Fillet knife
• Measuring tape & scale
• Depth Finder
• Compass (if portaging through the bush)
• Flashlight (Waterproof is best)

Non-residents can buy a Fishing Licence and Outdoor Card on-line here (off site)

Sun Tan Lotion: The farther north you go, the thinner the atmosphere gets and the higher the UV index gets. With this in mind, if you are use to SPF 8 down south, then you will get the same results with SPF 15 in Gogama.

Crossing the Border

What you are allowed to bring into Canada
You are allowed, per person, 40 ounces of alcohol or 1 case of 24 beer, 1 carton of cigarettes, up to 4 days supply of food, along with personal clothing and fishing equipment.

What you are not allowed to bring into Canada
You cannot bring into the country live bait in water, worms packed in earth, hand guns and unregistered firearms, fruit, meat, eggs or vegetables.

DUI Charges and Other Issues
Our Canadian Immigration and Visitor regulations restrict persons with convictions that would be considered criminal charges in Canada to enter Canada. If you have had a DUI (driving under the influence) charge against you, any time in the near or far past, and if it shows up on your records in the US (which can be accessed by our Customs & Immigration officers through co-operative agreements between the US and Canada) then you may be denied entry to Canada. Random checks are common.

A one-time application can be made at the Canadian border for approximately $250 Cdn., taking up to 4 hours to complete, or a permanent application for visitor entry can be made through the Canadian Embassies in the US for a lesser amount ($35 Cdn.); however, this process can take up to 16 months. Some visitors with such convictions have been successful by pre-arranging their border crossing application and carrying letters from their home police force, clergy, etc. indicating their compliance with the rules over the past few years (at least 5 years). We suggest you communicate with a Canadian Immigration office prior to your planned trip if you have such a past charge.

DO NOT BRING OPEN ALCOHOL IN THE BOAT or DRIVE THE BOAT WITH ALCOHOL IN YOUR SYSTEM: Ontario has the most strict alcohol laws in North America. If you are driving the boat and you are over .08% or have open alcohol in the boat, you will be arrested. It's a minimum $1000 fine, criminal record and a lifetime offender registration. Your driver's license will be taken away (right then and there) for 15 months automatically. Other states and provinces will honor these charges. Between .05% and .08% is a 3-day license suspension and a $150 fine. ZERO OPEN ALCOHOL IN YOUR BOAT OR IN YOUR BLOOD !!!!

A police officer from the Ontario Provincial Police and a game warden from the Ministry of Natural Resources do fly into remote lakes and taxi right up to your boat to check for any illegal activity whether it's drinking in the boat or being over your fish limits. These guys are very very serious and do not show any compassion. You have been warned.

Lets all have tons of fun, catch lots of fish but save your drinking for around the campfire.